I AM

My photo
Davao City, Philippines
Hopeful. For always. In all ways. :)

Sunday, February 5, 2012

And I Chose To Be Grateful and Happy...

Psalm 34:18 says "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit."

This, apparently, is the core of today's gospel. I've always known that this quote exists but because I don't really read the Bible regularly, I have forgotten about it, even at that time when I was literally brokenhearted.

So when I attended the Mass today, I was almost teary-eyed the whole time. I don't know. It felt like God was talking to me. It was as if it's His way of saying that the worst is over, that He will heal me, that I can start all over again. Now. :)

The officiating priest said during his sermon that all of our brokenness, the trials we face, the sufferings we endure--- they are all designed by God so we can appreciate life even more. There's always a rainbow after the storm. And yes, I'm holding on to every word.

Looking back, I could have rant all I want about the way my life turned out. There was a time when I saw life unfold the way I wanted it to be, and I thought all I need was a little more time so it would come to its full circle. Little did I know that it wasn't even real to begin with. When I realized that I don't stand a chance at having that one thing I thought I could wait forever for, my heart wasn't just broken; it was shattered to pieces.

I could have chosen to wallow in pain, to be depressed and curse at the world. But God's love made me reconsider. I am just too blessed to complain about that painful experience. The blessings He abundantly showers upon me outweigh all the rejection and pain caused by some people who don't see my worth. So, I prayed for healing, and healing He bestowed upon me.

The gospel has reaffirmed to me what I always believed in: that God is a faithful God. He heals the brokenhearted. He always presents a way to start all over again, with the lessons learned from the painful past. Really, gratefulness and happiness are our personal choices. And as for me, they are my top picks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment